Shell Key Preserve Clear Kayak Tour
- DAYTIME Tours Pricing varies by date. Please choose a date for the exact price.
- Prices starting at:
- Adult Ages 12+
- Child Ages 11 & Under
- GLOW Tours Nighttime tours
- Per Person Ages 12 & Up
Adventure through Shell Key Preserve in your 100% clear kayak!
See crystal-clear water, diverse marine life, and the underwater world below your clear kayak.
You’ll paddle along mangroves, enjoy white sand beaches and sandbars, and explore a secluded beach. As you kayak within Shell Key Preserve, the water will get clearer as you approach the gulf. While paddling, remember to look through your clear kayak to see the underwater world below! Shell Key Preserve is located near St. Pete Beach in the Tampa Bay area.
Look for incredible wildlife while you take in the scenery!
Keep your eyes peeled for dolphins, manatees, pelicans, crabs, and more while enjoying the preserve’s picturesque mangroves, beaches, and sandbars.
Be on the lookout for a manatee or the beautiful pink Roseate Spoonbills in the summer months. White Pelicans call the sandbars of Shell Key Preserve their home during the winter months! Throughout the year, dolphins frolic in the crystal-clear waters and cormorants love to swim alongside your kayak. Chances are that you’ll see a variety of wildlife, but sightings are random and not guaranteed.
Learn about the preserve from your 5-star rated eco-tour guide.
Hear about local wildlife and ecosystems from the #1 rated Nature & Outdoor Experience guides in the world!
TripAdvisor rated your tour as the #1 Nature & Outdoor Experience in the world in 2022. Your guide will welcome you and provide brief paddling and safety instructions. Then, you’ll be off on an adventure as your tour guide leads the way around the mangrove islands, through the shallows, and to the beach. If the tide is high, your guide will lead the way through a hidden mangrove tunnel. You’ll also take a break at Shell Key, where you can collect shells, take in the views, and be surrounded by nature. Your guide will be happy to take photos and make sure you have fun along the way!
Kayak at night on a glow tour and illuminate the water below.
Enjoy a unique nighttime tour while your color-changing, waterproof LED lights illuminate the waters below your clear kayak.
Explore the waters of Shell Key Preserve while looking for wildlife, taking in the stars, and lighting up the water beneath you. Depending on the departure time, you may witness an incredible sunset. As dusk falls, you’ll turn on your lights to illuminate the water below. Your tour guide will lead the way on a true adventure through Shell Key Preserve. Plan on wearing long sleeves and/or long pants, with bug spray underneath your clothing to deter mosquitos.
Shell Key Clear Kayaking FAQ's
- Reservations are required for all tours.
- There is a $1.00 toll, payable by Cash, Coins, or SunPass on your way to the launch site.
- Pets are prohibited throughout Shell Key Preserve by order of Pinellas County.
- Alcohol is prohibited throughout Shell Key Preserve by order of Pinellas County.
We encourage you to bring the following:
- Water (preferably in a reusable water bottle)
- Swimsuit/clothes that you don’t mind getting a little wet
- Shoes that can get wet/sandals
- Towel for after the trip
- Any extra gear you’d like! Remember – the less gear, the more visibility through the kayak!
We will provide you with the following:
- Dry bags to store your personal items
- Safety equipment including lifejackets and whistles
- A clear kayak with seats and paddles
- A knowledgeable tour guide
- Every tour is given on one of our 100% clear kayaks.
- Our fleet is small (5 kayaks) so expect an exclusive experience (no more than 10 people at a time).
- Private tours are available per request.
- Our guides are always helpful and entertaining (and they love tips).
- Yes, children are welcome on our daytime tours! For our nighttime glow tours, we only allow teens ages 12 and older.
- Children 6 and under are required by law to wear a life jacket at all times while on the water. We provide lifejackets for children that are above 30 pounds.
- We require children 30 pounds or under to bring their own Coast Guard approved life jacket as the size is very specific and safety is of utmost importance.
- We require one adult per each child under age 12.
- We require two adults per each child 3 years old and under.
Our tours are made for any skill levels to participate, we will have basic tips and tricks to help you maneuver the waterways. Some paddling may be considered intermediate but we try our best to paddle at a pace that is convenient for every paddler! We do require all guests to stay with the group. We also ask that all guests have upper body mobility and capacity to walk up and down steps to enter/exit kayaks.
Tips are greatly appreciated. We like to say, “If you enjoyed your ride, tip your guide!”
Standard US gratuity is 20%!
YES! Our weight limit is no more than 250 pounds per person and no more than 425 pounds per 2 people that are in the same kayak. All of our kayaks are double kayaks. Unfortunately our kayak manufacturer has given us this strict limit of 250 pounds per person and we cannot exceed this limit.
Each of our kayaks are tandem (made for 2 paddlers). However, the seats are removable and if you have an odd number of paddlers in your party we are able to accommodate the kayak as a single.
Keep in mind, the same 250 pound PER person weight limit still applies even if taking a kayak out as a single.
- Pets are prohibited in Shell Key Preserve by order of the Pinellas County Government. If you have a service animal, please contact us directly for appropriate accommodations.
- Alcohol is prohibited in Shell Key Preserve by order of the Pinellas County Government.
Trips that are canceled by Get Up And Go Kayaking due to inclement weather, will be rescheduled or refunded.
Reservations that are cancelled 48 hours or more before a scheduled trip will not be charged. Those that are cancelled or in need of rescheduling within the 48 hour window of departure time will be charged full price.
No-show participants will be charged full price unless cancelled outside of 48 hours. This includes showing up with less paddlers than the original amount booked for.
Get Up And Go Kayaking will not launch in unsafe weather conditions. Because of this, trips may need to be cancelled or rescheduled due to safety issues. If this is the case, your reservation will be refunded in full (if it has already been paid). We will not be held responsible for any reservation that you fail to keep due to any unforeseen circumstances. We also reserve the right to change or cancel any tours due to circumstances beyond our control. In this instance, Get Up And Go Kayaking can refund the tour price, not any other expenses that may have been incurred.