TOP TEN THINGS TO DO ON YOUR VISIT TO FLORIDA’S ADVENTURE COAST
There’s a reason Hernando County is called Florida’s Adventure Coast! Located just an hour north of Tampa and two hours west of Orlando, Hernando County is located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and home to the Weeki Wachee River, a 1st magnitude spring! If you love nature and you love the outdoors you’ve come to the right coast with miles to paddle, hike, bike and explore!
With so many miles of paddling to explore Get Up and Go Kayaking offers unique clear kayak tours at three locations in Hernando County- Pine Island located on the Gulf of Mexico and the Weeki Wachee River, all year long and seasonally at Linda Pedersen Park as a second manatee tour location! Each location offers a paddling experience and opportunities to see the wildlife of the Sunshine state at its natural best all year!
Below are 10 things we recommend in addition to your clear kayak tours for making the most of your time here! Come discover nature’s place to play!
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park
Home to the ‘Only City of Live Mermaids’ stop by this quintessential old Florida attraction! Catch the Mermaid show- that’s right the only state park in the US with mermaids, splash in the clear spring waters of Buccaneer Bay or catch a boat tour with interpretive talk and learn about the spring!
- Paddling with us at Pine Island? Obviously you have to spend the rest of the day beaching it at the only beach in Hernando County!
- Have a need for speed? Bayport Airboat Tours Check out these airboat tours right where we launch from at Mary’s Fish Camp If you like fishing, bring your gear or grab a pole rental from Mary’s and try your hand at their monthly fishing contest while you are here!
- You’ve kayaked the famed Weeki Wachee River and now hike the 12,000 acres of its southern boundary that is critical habitat for the Florida black bear! Check out this blog to prepare from Florida Hikes
- Take a drive through the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area and while you are there take a hike out to Buford Sink, a popular dive spot known for its depth at over 145 feet and clear waters!
- If you haven’t had enough of the river take a stand up paddle board lesson with SUP Weeki
- Check out the “Fishbowl” and manatee rehabilitation facility at Ellie Schiller Homosassa Wildlife Park
- Head over to Florida Cracker Kitchen for the world’s best cinnamon roll and celebrate the heritage of the Florida Cowboy! Afterwards be sure to explore the Florida Mermaid Trail
- Catch a sunset at Bayport Fishing Pier
- Climb rope walls, swing through trees, cross wobbly bridges and zoom across zip lines all on this tree top adventure course with over 80 obstacles for all ages at FLGX Adventure
Want more help and great resources for planning your trip? Start here: https://floridasadventurecoast.com/
See you on the water!
The Get Up and Go Kayaking Weeki Wachee Team
Weeki Wachee Springs State Park | @weekiwacheesprings